Select Page

Withdrawal Policy

Return to Title IV Funds Policy

“What happens if I withdraw from all my classes?”

A student may find in necessary to withdraw from all classes during a semester. The student may be eligible to receive a refund of tuition and course fees depending upon the timing of the withdrawal.

If circumstances cause a student to withdraw from all classes, they are encouraged to contact their academic advisor AND the Financial Aid Office so their decision will be based on a clear understanding of the consequences of withdrawing from all classes.

Determining Aid Earned

If a student withdraws from UW Oshkosh, then the school, or the student, or both may be required to return some or all of the federal funds awarded to the student for that semester.

The federal government requires a return of Title IV Federal Aid that was received if the student withdrew on or before completing 60% of the semester.

Federal funds, for the purpose of this federal regulation, include:

  • the Pell Grant
  • Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • Subsidized Student Loans
  • Perkins Loans
  • Parent PLUS Loans

The formula used in this federal “return of funds” calculation divides the aid received into earned aid and unearned aid.

A student “earns” Financial Aid in proportion to the time he/she is enrolled up to the 60% point. The percentage of federal aid to be returned (unearned aid) is equal to the number of calendar days remaining in the semester when the withdrawal takes place divided by the total number of calendar days in the semester.

If a student was enrolled for 20% of the semester before completely withdrawing, 80% of Federal Financial Aid must be returned to the aid programs.

If a student stays through 50% of the semester, 50% of Federal Financial Aid must be returned.

For a student who withdraws after the 60% point-in-time, there is no unearned aid. However, a school must still complete a Return calculation in order to determine whether the student is eligible for a post-withdrawal disbursement.

Return of Title IV Federal Financial Aid

Once the amount of unearned Federal Aid is calculated, the UW Oshkosh repayment responsibility is the lesser of that amount or the amount of unearned institutional charges. The school satisfies its responsibility by repaying funds in the student’s package in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
  • Subsidized Stafford Loan
  • Perkins Loan
  • Parent PLUS Loan
  • Pell Grant
  • Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Other Title IV Grant Funds

Keep in mind that when Title IV Funds are returned, the student borrower may owe a balance to the institution and/or the U.S Department of Education. If a student fails to repay grant funds, he/she may be ineligible for future Federal Financial Aid.

What happens if I never officially withdraw?

Unofficial Withdrawal Policy

Student are defined as unofficially withdrawn for Title IV Federal Aid purposes when they do not have any grades for the semester other than F’s (failing grades).

Identification Process

A final grade of “F” is assigned by instructors failing students. When instructors assign an “F” grade they are asked to report the last known date of attendance, if possible.

At the end of each semester, a report is generated of all student who have Title IV Federal Aid and who have a semester GPA of 0.00. Those students who have all “F’s” are assumed to be “unofficially withdrawn”.

Administrative Action

The report is reviewed for those students with federal and state aid whom are assumed to have unofficially withdrawn from the University. The last date of attendance as reported by any of the instructors is determined and used in the Return of Title IV Funds calculation.

If a last day of attendance cannot otherwise be determined, the student is assumed to have attended 50% of the enrollment period and the formula is calculated based on that length of attendance.

Students will be billed for resulting institutional charges and repayments of federal and/or state financial aid.